Frequently Asked Questions
What are DIGNITAS requirements to allow me to end my life with dignity?
There are many requirements, among them:
- Register to the organization.
- To be clear of mind and be able to fly to Switzerland.
- Present historical and up-to-date medical summaries including psychiatric opinions.
- Send birth and marriage certificates translated and signed by a notary and apostilled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
There are many other bureaucratic procedures that a person with no experience in the field may find difficult to deal with.
Is there pain in the last moments?
No. The person drinks a potion (pentobarbital) that includes anesthetics and does not feel any pain.
Who is eligible?
- Patients with a disease that will lead to death (terminal illness).
- Those who suffer from unbearable disability.
- People with unbearable and uncontrollable pain.
- Patients who suffer from Parkinson's, ALS, MS, PSP, severe disabilities, and nursing cases.
- Dementia/ Alzheimer's patients with mild cognitive decline who know how to express their desire clearly will also be accepted.
Who is not eligible?
- Healthy people.
- People with severe mental illness.
- People who have lost their sound mind and ability to make decisions about (ending) their lives.
- Family opposition/disagreement is an obstacle.
How long does the process take before one travels to Switzerland?
The process takes at least three to six months, depending on the availability of DIGNITAS and the applicant's cooperation.
Does the procedure take place during the COVID-19 period?
Yes. There is an exemption from quarantine upon entering Switzerland in favor of those receiving ‘medical treatment’ in DIGNITAS. Those returning from Switzerland may be required to go into quarantine according to the laws of the State of Israel.
Is it possible to contact DIGNITAS directly?
Yes. DIGNITAS will be happy to work directly with you or your family on your behalf.You may contact DIGNITAS at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may send your questions to: Last.Wish.Dignitas@gmail.com